Monday, June 20, 2011

Corny Potato Salad

JT:  Made a potato salad to take to Father's Day dinner. Really wanted to avoid the mayo -- I'd hate it even if it wasn't chock full of calories. The texture and taste have always been bad to me. So, I needed a no mayo potato salad. However, my dad doesn't like vinegar-y things... so, that made finding a good potato salad difficult! I stumbled across this one on foodgawker (fun site to browse, btw). The original recipe can be found here. I made some changes...
CORNY POTATO SALAD
serves 8 side servings

*27oz red new potatoes, cooked till fork tender (I boiled them) And the 27oz was just what I used... Orig recipe called for 2lb.
*2 Tbsp. dijon mustard (or to taste)
*2/3 of a 14oz can of creamed corn
*1 Tbsp. capers (forgot these)
*1 celery stalk, diced
*1 small red bell pepper, diced
*3 radishes sliced
*2 tsp. fresh dill
*1.5 cups of frozen green beans, thawed and dried
*3.5 slices of bacon, cooked super crispy in the oven and chopped

I cooked potatoes ahead of time and cooled. Mix mustard into creamed corn. use more or less, to taste. Could need more creamed corn too, depending on potato volume. Add potatoes and other veggies and mix gently. I garnished with chopped crispy bacon. Would also be good with different veggies -- especially cherry tomatoes! And it could have used a bit of onion.

Nutrition: Calculated the quantities/products I used... Each serving came out to about 130cal. I thought this salad was great. It has a creamy/dressed quality with out added any extra calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment